9 In Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Frequently Used Words In YA Book Titles

This week’s Top Ten Tuesday – hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl who is a jewel (and a half) – is a step away from what the “norm” for TTT usually entails. Rather than having us focus inwardly on our likes or dislikes, instead we are looking at something unemotional and freeing: cold, hard data. This week’s prompt inquires, “what are ten words used frequently in YA book titles?”

Rather than being copacetic with just analyzing YA book titles in general, I turned to my own personal list of books read. Not content with that, either, I exported my read shelf’s data into Excel from Goodreads, and spent some time reading titles in a PivotTable I made …

… yeah, okay, but I embrace my nerdy side head-on, which is all that really matters, okay? Leave me alone.

So anyway, I made a Wordle of my titles after I went in and painstakingly manually removed the series titles from the “title” box. This is data from a hair over 200 books.

I was surprised, as I’m sure you can imagine, that “dead” is so big oh my god, but then again I read a lot of suspense and thrillers, so maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised. I’ve had my Goodreads account since college though so I am a little perplexed as to how my “read” total is so low … I can only guess that there was a large period where I wasn’t recording the books I was reading via the website, as it’s so much easier now to scan a barcode with the Goodreads app.

Are you surprised that I’m apparently a messed up person who reads about death, fire and secrets more than most people? What are your most popular words? Let me know down below!

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Sammie
    April 24, 2018 at 2:01 pm

I love how much work you put into this. xD I just winged it and guessed based on titles I’ve seen recently, but I LOVE the word cloud (totally not because I’m also extremely nerdy … *cough*). Funny enough, I was going to use dead/death on my list but decided against it last minute because figured it’d be really popular on lists. Some of these are really interesting and words I hadn’t thought about, like home or house. (Also, yay for Harry Potter!)

Nikki @ Synopses by Sarge
    April 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I love that you made your post unique! I would have never thought to do this.

Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books)
    April 24, 2018 at 6:11 pm

This is awesome! I love it. And I’m kind of cracking up that “dead” is so big. It probably would be in mine, too, because I read so many crime/mystery/thriller books. It’s not that I LOVE reading about death, it’s just that it happens a lot in the books I read, you know? LOL.

Happy TTT!

Patricia
      April 24, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I know, right?! I loaded it and I was like “………. oh my god!”

Jo
    April 24, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Wow you put so much work into this! It’s making me curious about my most common titles on Goodreads now…..
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/24/top-ten-tuesday-156/

Kay Wisteria @HammockofBooks
    April 24, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Ahahaha so much death xD I love your post it looks great 🙂

Aj @ Read All The Things!
    April 24, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Wow, I love how much work you put into this. I wonder what my most-read title word is. It’s probably also “dead.” I read a lot of messed –up stuff.

Joann Downie
    April 24, 2018 at 11:32 pm

That is pretty cool, everyone has done really cool stuff this week for their posts!!

Tracy @ Cornerfolds
    April 25, 2018 at 2:50 am

Oh yikes! All those poor, dead characters! XD I love your take on this topic!